Liberty Bank traces its history back to the decade preceding the "Gay Nineties" when a group of Ironton businessmen and workingman formed a "Terminating" type of building and loan association, chartered as "The German American Workingmen's Building Association." A certain number of men subscribed to shares and paid dues of 50 cents a share each two weeks until the subscribed shares were fully paid. Straws were drawn to determine whose turn it was to secure a loan from the accumulated funds.
A second "Terminating" charter was granted on April 10, 1896 with the chartered title "The German-American Building Association No. 2. Liberty Bank was granted a Federal Charter on February 16, 1938 and the name Liberty Federal Savings and Loan was obtained.
The Federal Charter was changed on March 1, 2001 to the name of Liberty Federal Savings Bank. On August 20, 2009 at a Special Meeting of the Members of the Bank approval was granted of a Plan of Mutual Holding Company Reorganization of the Bank. The reorganization of the Bank provided a mutual holding company form of ownership creating Liberty Federal Bancorp, Inc. and Liberty Federal Bancorp, MHC. On June 30, 2014 the Federal Savings and Loan charter was changed to a State Savings Bank charter and the name was changed to the current name Liberty Bank.
Liberty Bank has continually sought to consolidate growth with adequate liquidity and strong reserves, while continuing to serve the community. While adjusting to the changes over the years, Liberty Bank has remembered our function in our local economy; to promote home ownership and to encourage savings and investment.